It seems I have been absent from a lot of things this summer. Let me count the ways.
- my construction work (good thing I’m self-employed)
- my online permaculture class
- any sort of updates on my blog
- learning how to run the desktop CNC I bought at the beginning of the year
This is by no means a comprehensive list of the things I’ve been away from. But, through all my absences, I have still managed to remain rather busy.
After the school year ended, (my wife teaches at a small private school), we moved back to our farm in KY for the summer. I had no shortage of items on my ever expanding TO-DO list. A list that was supposed to be completed in 2 short months. Tasks ranging from things like
- install fencing for our 2 calves who have yet to be named (I’m thinking, Steak, and Burgerz. Very original, right?)
- bush-hog the field of weeds that had taken over in our absence
- help my dad and mom on building their house
- build a wrap-around porch on our storage building
- dig a well
- thin out some of the forest of sweet-gum saplings that is taking over parts of the farm
Along with all that, I had agreed to work for a local roofer in the area. While I was under the impression that he did strictly metal roofing, my first day on the job consisted of tearing shingles of a roof that ranged in steepness from a 4/12 pitch to 12/12 pitch. Calculated in degrees, that would be about 18.5° and 45°, respectively. Needless to say, my back was rather sore from shoveling shingles that week. Re-installing the shingles was only slightly better. The next job was much better. While we still had to remove the existing shingles, they came up much easier. The new roofing material was standing seam metal roofing, which, while it takes longer than regular metal roofing, is more enjoyable than installing shingle roofing. As it turned out, those 2 jobs were all I was able to help him on.
I did manage to fence in several acres for our two steer calves, which had, until then, been staying on my uncles Jersey cow dairy near Dixon, TN. To save some money, I simply built a 2 strand electric wire fence, with 6ft metal t-posts every 20 feet, and wooden corner posts. In total, I had to buy 75 t-posts, 1 mile of wire (though I only used just over half) and an electric shocker. This only cost about $525. In the future, I plan on adding more t-posts, and installing woven wire fencing.
For now, we are back in south GA, my wife at her teaching job, and I back at my construction work.
Here are a few pictures from our farm over the summer
Here is one taken from the back porch of my dad’s house since we came back to GA
I pulled to the side of the road one day to catch these pictures